Friday, August 07, 2009

Sun's Office of Career Planning

There are many odd things about being in an acquisition, not the least of which is having an enormous support system for job searching. It's also wonderful. I have an interview coming up, and I don't want to jinx myself so I won't say much - except that I'm so excited about the position and the company that I've barely slept for several nights.

The resources at Sun are amazing. I got advice from someone in HR about phone interviewing; my mentor gave me in-person interviewing tips and reviewed my resume; a coworker reviewed a relevant open source license with me. I've gotten several offers to be a reference.

I'm hard-pressed to think of another situation where this might occur. It's a little like leaving law school, I guess; except everyone is much better connected, and your professors are looking for jobs too.

No comments: