Tuesday, January 20, 2009

CC-BY

I've been meeting with some attorneys (friends of friends) to talk about the industry. One of them is at a big corporate law firm, and he knew I had a blog. (He informed me that he writes Blogging Policies for his clients, and that he was coming around to the belief that an employee's blog posts should be attributed to the company for Securities law purposes.)

He asked me at one point, wasn't I mad at my law firm for doing this to me? It's odd, but that question upset me a little. I'm not mad. What's the point? Having that anger inside me would only be hurting myself. When I let myself get heated up about it, it does hurt. It hurts me, not them. Somehow his assumption that I'd be pissed made me wonder if I was naive for not being angry.

As we shook hands, he added, "You're not going to attribute what I say to my law firm on your blog, are you?"

I wouldn't dream of it.

2 comments:

Greg said...

I'm sure it's healthy not to be mad at the firm. On the other hand, it was pretty inexcusable for the firm to wait so long to make a decision. Surely, they had to know they were going to have to make hard decisions, and waiting until well after people had stopped their job hunting, changed their lives, etc., to make the decision is just... Impolite, at the very least. (Congrats on the contract gig, BTW. I think I followed the clues to reveal the company...)

It's a rough market out there. I think you're well within your rights to be angry. I'd be angry. I've been angry at employers (current and former) in the past. Some former colleagues still can get me riled up about a company I left in 2001! I spent over a year during law school angry with my current employer. None of it made me happier. It just made me angry. If you can avoid it -- even if through naivete, which I don't believe it is -- so much the better.

Anonymous said...

Great post. You have a very healthy outlook, and it will serve you well in the long run. Best of luck to you in all your new endeavors.