Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Fever

I spent the weekend struggling with the flu, and with guilt. The flu hit me in the form of a fever, and the agony of it really came as a surprise, since I haven't had the flu or a fever since I was about 8 years old. The guilt resulted from passing this awfulness on to at least three (the fourth I'm denying) of my friends. Once the fever hit me I didn't make it out of bed, but the 24 hours before are apparently very infectious.

You can check out how bad the flu hits your zip code here. The flu severity in my area currently rates "high," and naturally my ill friends had an idea who was to blame for the local epidemic.

How does the flu affect my legal studies? Not well, in general, with one exception. I worked a few hypos in Evidence, and by god they were crystal-f*cking-clear. Seriously. That's how I wanna take my Evidence final: in the elevated delirium of a fever.

On second thought, I take that back. Who wants to test fate?

4 comments:

Lawyerlike said...

Speaking of writing evidence finals in a haze and the incredibly disastrous outcomes, I just read this case for my Admin class today that you might want to check out... (hopefully your online database points to Canadian cases as well):

Khan v. University of Ottawa (1997) 34 O.R. (3d) 535, a case from the Ontario Court of Appeal.

;)

Dave said...

Canada? Isn't that a county in Michigan? I can't find that case.

:)

Lawyerlike said...

Here are highlights of the case for those that can't access the databases of the frozen tundra to the north:

"The appellant, Nalini Khan, failed her Evidence examination in her second year of law school at the University of Ottawa. Her instructor graded her examination on the contents of three examination booklets. Ms. Khan maintains, however, that she handed in a fourth booklet ... Ms. Khan thought that the Evidence exam was two hours long. In fact, it was set for two-and-a-half hours ... Realizing that she had been mistaken about the length of the exam, Ms. Khan began writing in a fourth examination booklet, in which she supplemented her answers to seven of the exam questions ... She said that she did not number the fourth booklet because she wanted her instructor to realize that this booklet added answers she had already given in the first three booklets ... Ms. Khan did not fare well in her other courses during second year. Nonetheless, had she passed Evidence, she would have passed her year."

She appealed her failing grade at three levels of university hearings and then all the way up to the Court of Appeal. She won... in 1997, three years after originally failing. And she's now a practicing lawyer.

I'd save yourself the trouble (and enormous costs) and just make sure your brain's on high alert the first time!

Sansserif said...

Lol, I've bitched before about how much I hate it when profs don't put time recommendations on the exam sections. This case is a fine example of why it's necessary. As we've all heard a thousand times, "We all came to law school because we can't do math..."