Friday, January 26, 2007

Like a Native

Last night in Copyright class it was getting late, and we were all tired, and no one would raise their hand to talk about the Feist case. So I raise my hand because this was probably the third time I'd studied the damn Feist case (established the rule for copyrighting compilations of facts - the telephone book case). I tell my prof about the facts, the issue, the reasoning. And then she asked me a question, I can't remember what it was about, and I thought a second and then responded. And she looked at me a second and said, "You sound like a defense lawyer." She said it with a wry smile, but I was thrilled!

It reminds me of when I spent a summer in Mexico City. Towards the end of my stay I was arguing amiably about something with a Mexican friend over lunch, and after a stream of speech on my end, he looked at me and said in amazement (in Spanish), "You just sounded exactly like a native speaker."

2 comments:

Lawyerlike said...

Soy de acuerdo. Cuando leo tus entradas, oigo una voz que es muy sensible, pero también una poca cínica. Creo que éstas son calidades muy imprescindible para una buena abogada de defensa, como tu misma ;)

Jim said...

Thanks for talking about Feist. Those night classes can be brutal and there are only a few of us who are willing to talk.